May - 2013
No movies currently on deck to watch.
Mystery Video of the Moment

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Carl Panzram: The Spirit of Hatred and Vengeance

Even though I started Borowski's other documentary on H.H. Holmes - one of the men they thought might have been the notorious, "Jack the Ripper," - I'm reviewing this one first because I finished watching it first. On Netflix, I gave it 4/5 stars.

I enjoyed the insights into the mind of the serial killer this documentary provided. The reason this movie only got 4 stars has more to do with the fact that I thought I'd learn more about what the man himself did. However, that's not what this documentary does, nor do I believe that was it's objective.

This is more about the viewpoint of a prisoner, and how he became what he became. His writings exposed the prison system for what it was back then - a house of evil. While I'm all for people having consequences for their actions, and consequences that fit the crime, I find myself appalled at how children were treated back in his day. Panzram started as a poor, troubled boy who needed compassion and maybe even some kind words of encouragement, not the treatment he had at the hands of, "christians." That's a can of worms I won't be getting into right now. Watch this documentary, and hear the words of the man himself, and you'll understand why.

I found the man profound in a way because he saw - through his own life experience - the inherent flaws in mankind. What he learned of society, he abhorred. He saw humanity as evil, and he felt they were a plague to be wiped out. As if he had some sort of connection to the future, he believed that these people would ultimately destroy the earth.

I don't view mankind as a plague to be wiped out, but I do believe that society still has a long way to go. The rest of my beliefs in this matter are for a different blog altogether.

Getting back to the documentary. Watch it. If it doesn't change or enhance your views on how important all children are - rich, poor, in between, doesn't matter - and making sure everyone has the same education and a loving, caring start in life etc...well, I don't know what will.

While I don't completely agree that he is blameless in all of it, Panzram makes some very prophetic points. Definitely watch this documentary, I don't believe you'll regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment